Café, Restaurant, Espresso Bar, Deli...?
Different types of establishments are segmented according to the following criteria:
- Anything listed as a chain has more than one storefront and may be a local, regional, national, or even international.
- A restaurant emphasizes their food and offers table service.
- Unlike a restaurant, a café is typically self-service with ordering at the cash register.
- Like a café, an espresso bar may have food or drinkables. However, unlike a café, the emphasis is clearly on the coffee.
- A tea salon clearly emphasizes their tea offerings.
- A bar emphasizes alcoholic drinks.
- A confectioner is primarily a candy store or chocolatier.
- An ice cream shop, bakery, deli, or grocery designation is somewhat self-explanatory.
- We created the catch-all category of "other" once we found good espresso served in the strangest places (runner's supply stores, video rentals, etc.)